Monday, November 26, 2007

This control scheme wins!

It is worth noting in today's DOJO update about controls that players may now disable control stick jumping. This is something I dreamed of while playing Melee. I prefer using the Y-button to jump as opposed to using the control stick. The buttons just offer so much more precision on when and how to jump.

If you look closely at the upper right corner of this image, you will see "Tap Jump", and it is currently "ON". I guarantee that my control scheme will have that set to "OFF". I cannot count the number of times I (or my wife) have tried to use Link's up-B on the ground (only one of many examples) only to involuntarily take off into the air and be brutally punished by the opponent. Those days are over! I suppose it is worth noting that air dodge self-destructs will be less of a problem too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you turn your control stick jump off, will you still be able to up+b out of shield?

TheBuzzSaw said...

@Thomas - Probably not as easily, but the other benefits will far outweigh this one tactic.

Sliq said...

Certain characters frequently up b out of shield (Samus). Furthermore, it will be harder to up smash out of shield, too.

I'd imagine people would flip it off back and forth between characters (i.e. characters that don't up b or up smash out of shield). The removal of this jump feature would be far more useful for Marth than, say, Samus or Fox.

Regardless, this update is awesome.

On a side note, I thought it would be a cool idea if you could use your DS as a controller and swipe the touch screen for smash attacks, or even designate Y for standard attacks and X for smash attacks.